Fossil honors seniors to enlist in the Marine Corps

Jaidyn Nelson, Activities Beat Writer

In 2016, the National Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that 69.7% of students who graduated high school were enrolled in college. That is, a whopping 2.2 million “traditional first-time freshman” attended college the following fall after graduating from high school. It is no surprise that postsecondary school accounts for the plans of the majority of high schoolers after graduation. However, that does not account for the minute 4% of high school graduates who choose to enlist in the military. Fossil Ridge High School is proud to say that many of its graduates have pursued careers in the military in previous years, including this year’s senior class of 2020. Among those are Liam Sarti and Luis Romano. 

https://www.nps.gov/gwmp/learn/historyculture/usmcwarmemorial.htm
The Marine Corps War Memorial, “In honor and in memory of the men of the United States Marine Corps who have given their lives to their country since November 10, 1775.”

For Sarti, being in the military has always been a dream of his in order to follow in the footsteps of his family members. Earlier this year, Sarti signed an eight year contract with the Marine Corps and since then, has been accepted into and is in the Delayed Entry Program for the Marine Corps. Prior to this, when Sarti was asked what the process looked like for him, he answered, “The first step is to go to the recruiter for the respective branch that you want to enlist in. From there you will take a practice Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery Test (ASVAB) to see if you are qualified for service. After that, if you are qualified and willing to commit, then about four hours of paperwork is required before you can be sent to the military entrance processing station (MEPS). From there, you take drug tests, blood work, medical and vision exams, and if you pass all of those, you then have a contract put in front of you and you sign the line and then you go and swear into your branch.” The final signature marked Sarti’s commitment to his country, a seemingly bulky commitment for anybody of his age, not to mention the lengthy process he had to endure to be where he is. Sarti plans to fulfill his commitment and from there, either retire or work towards something in law enforcement. Sarti claimed that his family was “a bit hesitant” when he decided he wanted to be in the military until they realized that “they had no choice” and that the decision was inevitably up to him. As for his friends, Sarti is proud to say that his friends supported his decision from the beginning. In fact, a good friend of Sarti’s, Luis Romano, is planning to enlist the same way. Romano, also a senior at Fossil this year, is said to be “excited” about his plans for next year. He has not yet signed his contract, and is currently waiting for some waivers to be cleared.

Sarti encourages “anyone interested in a career in the military or anyone with questions to not hesitate to reach out” to either him or a recruiter. Regardless, it only seems right to thank Fossil’s own for the commitments they have made and to honor those young men and women who have dedicated themselves fully to better our country and to promote our safety.