Sabercats sweep city, defeat Collins 3-0

Fossil Ridge players scoring after scoring a goal.

Dylan Heinrich, Sports Writer

The Fossil Ridge High School girls soccer team defeated Fort Collins High School 3-0, securing their first city championship since 2017.

This game marked a turning point for the Sabercats, as they look to overcome their struggles in recent games. The team had lost three of their previous four, marking their only defeats of the season. However, this marks a big win and helps swing momentum moving forward for Fossil.

“We worked really hard [for this win]…It was a little intimidating, looking at their stats, but I’m glad we pulled through,” said a senior, Kelsey Drysdale.

As a result of their win against Collins, the Sabercats completed a clean sweep against the city teams, not giving up a single goal during those three games. For Drysdale, one of Fossil’s ten seniors, her first city title means so much more after being such a big part of this team for several years.

“It means a lot to me…I’ve been on this team for four years and now it’s my last year, so I’m happy to win it now,” Drysdale said.

While the team has struggled of late, they believe to have found their key to success, and feel more confident than ever.

“In our wins we work better as a team, we’re communicating and connecting on our passes…It’s been getting better now that we’ve gotten to know each other… [We’re looking to] make the playoffs and hopefully winning the rest of our games,” Drysdale hopes.

Fossil will put their talents to the test on Friday, April 22, against Windsor High School, the third ranked team in 4A.