Old teachers worthwhile to visit

teacher.fwBefore we start, just take a minute and think: When was the last time you visited one of your old teachers? BESIDES the ones that are in Fossil. Then ask yourself, do you miss them?

I do. And the other day I made a point of changing that trend. I haven’t seen any of my former teachers since I went to middle AND elementary school… Did you know it’s been about 10 years since most of us have started school? I haven’t seen any of my old elementary teachers for more than 6 years! And don’t brush this off saying, “They wouldn’t care or recognize me if I came back to visit, so why bother?” NOT TRUE YOU LAZY HIGHSCHOOLERS! If they were one of your favorite teachers, it was for a reason.

As I walked into the 4th grade classroom that my former 6th grade teacher now works in, I felt a wave of nostalgia. Young students were scrambling around, trying to get their lunch boxes, backpacks and desks in order before they left for the day. Mr. McNamee stood at the door saying goodbyes and “I’ll see you tomorrow,” to his students as they left to meet their parents or their bus. I walked over and stood next to him, waiting for him to notice me there.

“Sarah!” he said excitedly, “and here I thought you were a parent!” He gave me a hug and I felt a wave of awe; how did he remember me and how did he think I was THAT grown up? “I noticed you haven’t grown AT ALL since 6th grade,” he commented slyly to my discontent. “Not true! I’ve grown at LEAST an inch!” I protested while laughing. All of a sudden memories from my 6th grade year (or graduation year, *psht*) came flooding back. Eco Week, graduation and my tomboy years came rushing back along with old chums that I never see anymore.

We sat down and started talking about my brother (he had Mr. McNamee too) and what his and my plans were and what we were up to. I filled him in and we started in on my plans. “What colleges are you looking into and what career are you thinking of?” he asked, so typical. I told him my half-formed plans and we started a conversation that made me feel like a young adult, not the 6th grade student that used to bicker at him about sports. Even though it was an odd feeling, it was cool to know that I was now considered an individual who could keep up a higher level conversation. Not that they think you can’t talk to them as a 6th grader, but still.

As the afternoon moved along and we started to really catch up Mr. McNamee remembered he needed to leave to see another teacher but left me with a request, “Please come back again, I really want to know what you decide for college and it’d be great to see you again.” I agreed and felt a wave of exhilaration due to the blast from the past. Walking back through those halls, I lightly dragged my hand along the brick wall of the art hall, remembering how my artwork used to hang there for students and parents to see.

The thing is this: don’t avoid your favorite elementary or middle school teachers just because you don’t go there anymore. It hasn’t been too long and the time gap makes it more rewarding when you DO see them. That doesn’t mean you should avoid them until your college years; go back now, they’ll remember you. It’s a rewarding experience to see them and how they have changed along with how YOU’VE changed. And trust me, it makes them feel great that at least ONE of their old students enjoyed and remembered them enough to come and see them. So wrestle up the courage and go visit one of your old teachers, it’ll make you and your teacher feel the comfort of past memories.

View Comments (1)
$100
$1000