City of Heroes gives FRHS Homecoming new meaning

A royal court dressed up as superheroes, a gym transformed to multiple New York Cities (i.e. Gotham, Superman, and Stark Industries) and teachers depicting super villains. This was going to be a great Homecoming assembly. The Student Council did do an excellent job in decorating the gym for this year’s theme, City of Heroes. Students felt that exciting vibe of fighting crime and were eager to see the Homecoming Court’s outfits for each class. Although the gym and some of the entertainment was superb, this assembly seemed to fall short in a few areas.

The superhero sketch with our stupendous improv team was hilarious. It did a great job of bringing in school entertainment instead of hiring an outside performance, and all of the actors were impressive with their lines and performance. It was enjoyable to bring in different groups from our school; it brought more students together and showed that Homecoming spirit of school unity. Also, the teachers that took part and announced the assembly were a great change and brought more staff into our central interactions as a school. I mean, who wouldn’t want to see Mr. Barry dressed up as the Riddler?

It was a great idea for a Homecoming theme and well executed, but it seemed as though the rest of the assembly was relatively dull. As always, we had a wonderful performance from the Fossil Ridge cheer and dance teams between announcing the royal courts. But the school competition took 10 to 15 minutes of students sitting and waiting for the next court to be announced. And I don’t know about the rest of the seniors or some of the other classes, but I couldn’t see either screen with the questions or phone number to text. Like I mentioned, a fun idea but just not well executed.

The costumes for each grade were creative and lively this year. Even though students ended up doubling on heroes and some weren’t even classified heroes, they were school appropriate, charming, and great for upcoming Halloween. And not crowding everyone on stage was effective so that everyone could see who was on the court and they weren’t hidden behind other classes.

Beyond my love for superheroes and the Avengers that made this assembly quite acceptable was the focus on school spirit that the Student Council worked on this year. No outside performances, disjointed entertainment to the theme, or distraction from our school body. Yes, some of it was a bit dull trying to find new ways to entertain the FRHS student body, but we went back to the roots of Homecoming, enhancing the connection of an entire school and showing our school spirit, and not just putting 2,000 some students in the gym and entertaining them for an hour. The more we try to show school spirit and pride, the more refined and supportive  a school FRHS may become, which would be a great concept.