The Fossil Ridge sign above the entrance to FRHS.

Fourth quarter changes to benefit your high school career

As the fourth quarter of the school year looms, everything from excitement to stress and every emotion in between is bouncing from student to student like a pinball machine. Whether you have a fairly relaxed final stretch ahead, or the most difficult one to date, getting through the last quarter of high school is no simple feat. The methods for surviving this part of the year varies grade to grade. However, there are things that can be done to make the quarter go by just a bit more smoothly, as well as to improve your remaining time in high school.

Freshman:

This year has probably been a bit chaotic. The first year of high school is similar to being thrown into the deep end of the pool without knowing how to swim. Although I believe it may be the easiest academically, the habits you learn throughout the year will stick with you for the next three years, for better or for worse. The first year of high school is the perfect time to start a good routine. If you have figured out what works for you throughout the last three quarters, then you’re ahead of the game. Use these next three months to perfect it. As much as you most likely do not wish to hear this, school works tends to get more difficult as you get older. Everyone learns differently, so the best thing to do is to figure out what works best for you. Some students absorb information better when they hear it, some when they write it out. Throughout the last quarter find something that works for you and stick with it. That way, you can use this study method for the next three years of high school. Keep up beneficial habits, and as hard as it might be, try your best to get enough sleep. If you manage to mess up your sleep cycle early on, the odds of fixing it are slim. Get ahead of the game now, and it will pay off later.

Sophomores:

Many people tend to forget about the sophomores You’re not old enough to be considered an upper classman, and yet you aren’t the brand new faces that make up the freshmen. Honestly, my sophomore kind of blurred together and I can’t recall much about it. Use this time to branch out and try something new. It doesn’t have to be a big change, but every little bit helps. It’s too late in the year to join a new club or sports team, but there’s more new experiences out there than that. If you’ve never attended a Fossil sporting event, make it a goal to see one this semester, and you might just get hooked on it. Go see the One Acts in April to determine if you  might be interested in joining theater next year. Watch a Ridgebotics or Science Olympiad competition to see if it is something you want to learn more about. Even if you try a new hobby at home, it is better than nothing. You might just stumble across something that you never thought you would like. Be prepared for fext couple years, and don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone. Whether you try something new and you enjoy it or you don’t, it will still be a different experience than your day-to-day routine.

Juniors:

The fourth quarter of Junior year is most likely one of the most stressful times of the most anxiety filled year. ACTs, finals, and PARCC tests are coming up, and you may even be taking the SATs as well. You’re starting to realize you have to start planning for your life after high school, whether that be going to college, working, or otherwise. All of this might seem like a whirlwind of large decisions, but they aren’t something to tear yourself apart over. Hopefully you’ve used the time given to you in order to prepare for the upcoming tests, but even if you haven’t there is still time. There are workshops to assist you, so use your resources. Talk to your teachers as well if you need help in a subject. Even though you’re now an upperclassmen and supposedly one step closer to independence, it never hurts to ask for help. In fact in most cases it’s encouraged. Try to designate weekends where you can take time to yourself and relax. You can’t be working constantly, and although spring break might help, a mental break will do you wonders regardless of the situation. Simply set aside some time every so often to do something you enjoy, it doesn’t have to be a large complicated ordeal. Use the time to take a break from school work and don’t ponder anything that may bother you. Find a balance between school and rest, and you’ll be just fine.

Seniors:

In my opinion, there are two types of seniors. The first are the typical seniors who were prepared to leave high school by the third week of first quarter. They are plagued by senioritis and try as they might, the symptoms will not go away until they walk up on that stage and snatch away a diploma. The second type are those who most likely find themselves deeply involved in at least one organization in high school, and they now find themselves scrambling with all of the last minute projects and events they have buried themselves under. These are two very different types of people with vastly contrasting fourth quarter problems. However there is one thing that both groups need to realize, despite the end of their high school career being about eight weeks away including weekends. Their time left in high school is limited, so they should enjoy it. Sure the stress and boredom of high school may have made you want to drop out on numerous occasions and the thought of graduating may be similar to a six year old realizing they are going to Disney World, but that still isn’t an excuse for why you shouldn’t savor the days you have left. These are the last few days before you are kicked out into the real world. Although there are wonderful advantages of post high school life, much of what you’re experienced for the past four years only exists in high school. Spend time with your friends who are moving to different states, go to events and clubs and do everything you should have been doing for the past three years. There are ten weeks left, so make them worth it.