Kicking off the Unified Soccer Season

Kicking off the Unified Soccer Season

On Wednesday, April 5, Fossil Ridge High School’s Unified Soccer team played their first game game of the season against Fort Collins High School. Fossil dominated throughout the match, ending with a final score of 10-6. Both teams played an excellent game, keeping the fans on their feet and cheering.

Collin Mangum guards the goal with intensity.

Photo Credit: Karen Manley

To start the first half, Collin Mangum scored the first two goals. The next three goals were scored by Sebastian Bastille, William Armstrong, and Dominic Cardona, giving the Sabercats a 5-0 lead. At this point, Collins put 2 points on the board, lessening Fossil’s lead. Prestyn Martin had a key defensive save, changing the pace of the game in the Sabercats’ favor.

David Knuckey dribbles the ball to the goal.

Photo Credit: Karen Manley

David Knuckey scored his first two goals of the game, followed by William Armstrong’s second. Dee White’s goal was crucial in ensuring Fossil’s win. “It was very fun. We scored a lot of goals. It felt awesome,” reflected White after the first half. As both teams huddled up, the scoreboard read 9-2.

As the second half began, Mary Maddocks, Collin Mangum, Madi Ayraud, and Liam Flake lead a cheer in the stands to get the fans amped up. The Lambkins lessened Fossil’s lead, bringing the score to 9-6. Dee White scored the final goal of the game and the crowd erupted.

Sebastian Bastille hustled after every ball, and was constantly saving it from going out of bounds. After the game, he commented, “It was fun, and we won and we kicked the ball. And it was fun!”

Jonathan Tillman gets excited as the crowd cheers for him after a kick.

Photo Credit: Karen Manley

“I love coaching, especially Unified Soccer. I’ve always worked with special olympics, but this is my first getting to actually coach Unified. I think we take a lot of things for granted, and having to break down the game and explain it a different way is cool. I love the game so much, and it allowing me to see it through different eyes,” Coach Gardner said.

The next Unified game is Wednesday, April 12 at 6:00 pm against Rocky Mountain High School.

View Comments (1)
$100
$1000