28 Day Journal: Finding my inspiration

Photo Credit: Macy Fowler

Photo Credit: Macy Fowler

Photo Credit: Macy Fowler

Macy Fowler

As of now, this whole journaling thing has been successful overall. On the night of Saturday, February 3 I actually found myself wanting to journal, to write about my day. I ended up writing about other stuff too, mostly about the person I wanted to become and some empowering poetry. Of course there were nights that I was really tired or didn’t feel good, so I only wrote a few sentences. Then the next night, I would write double to make up for the lack of writing.

Friday night, I found out that when I listened to calming music that didn’t have any words it has the best mood for writing. A few days before, I had downloaded Spotify, where I found multiple playlists I could turn on and just write. It was a good way for my mind to focus on writing and not be distracted with changing the song or pondering over the lyrics. I also decided to light one of my favorite candles, which transformed my room into an even more relaxed environment than before. Of course you don’t have to light a candle or listen to music to journal, but I’ve found that is what works best for me.

Sometimes if I have to do something, it becomes less fun for me. I found that when I just let my mind wander, the words flow and I didn’t worry about what I was saying or how I said it, I just continued to write until I felt that what was written was sufficient. The writing wasn’t just about my day, it was how I felt or new ideas I had come up with or people I had talked to. I wasn’t limiting myself to just bringing up my day, it became more than that. It become my way of venting and releasing my feelings in a healthy way. I’m also creating my own playlist that will be filled with songs that keep a smile on my face along with a list of simple things that make me happy.

I told a few of my friends about my journaling project and I found that some of them actually journaled as well. One of my friends keeps a more detailed journal, where she keeps her weekly calendar. My journal isn’t anything special, it’s just a hardcover notebook that I got for Christmas a few years ago from a friend with inspiring phrases across it. I’m not sure if I’m going to keep it yet or buy a new one, but it’s great having a specific place to write.

I’m hopeful that by this week, I will have written more in my journal than last week. Over the past week, keeping a journal has been slightly tiring but for the most part it has become a wonderful, healthy way for me to vent and unwind before I fall asleep.

About the Writer
Macy Fowler, Arts Writer
Colorado native Macy Fowler is going into her sophomore year at Fossil Ridge High School, and is very excited to be an official member of the Etched In Stone staff. Following her experience in Journalism I as a freshman, Macy developed an interest in the Arts, and hopes to cover events centered around Fossil’s outstanding...