Topangas Editors Note: Advice for the college-bound junior

Topanga’s Editor’s Note: Advice for the college-bound junior

May 1st continues to creep up upon me and the rest of the senior class as we must decide what to do with the rest of our lives. The beginning of May is commitment day, where every college-bound student in the nation must decide where we are spending the next four (or more) years of our lives. Some students have figured it out by now, others are stuck between two, and a few are still clueless. The future is inevitable, and the pressure to decide is getting worse.

Seniors are not the only ones freaking out about soon becoming independent and leaving home. Juniors have started to realize that they have a year to visit colleges, consider different majors, apply for scholarships, take senior pictures and plenty more. The first step down this path is the ACT, which is just around the corner. I was there; I know how nerve-wracking and exciting this time is.

As for me, I am stuck between two fantastic schools: Oklahoma State University and Kansas State University. While I would love to call K-State my home, Oklahoma State University offers some incentives that cannot be ignored. My planned double major, Agricultural Communications and Animal Science, is offered at both schools and both have fantastic programs in these fields. As I finish up my decision, I have some advice for those of you who are just about to embark on your long journey to deciding your future.

1. Find colleges that have what you’re interested in. Know what major or department you want to study, if you want to go to school in-state or out-of-state, if you prefer a private or public school, etc. bigfuture by The College Board is a great tool to use to find colleges that have your interests. Students fill out a survey of preferences and it gives a list of matches. Cappex is also a great resource. It has very in-depth and easy to compare information about every school. One of the best features of the site is the student reviews of each school. It can also find scholarships and offers its own scholarships. Naviance is also a great tool the school provides. You can take surveys to find what majors may fit you best as well as find colleges.
  2. Once you have compiled a list of schools, take some tours. Even if you are not applying to an in-state school, tour one of them just so you know what to expect on your other tours. Each school provides different services during their tours. If the school you are touring does not already do so, schedule appointments with the department(s) you are interested in. They can give you a more personalized look at the school and answer your more specific questions. This also gives you some good contacts with the school and makes the campus a bit more familiar.
  3. Apply for scholarships. College is pricy and it is worth the work to apply for scholarships. Be sure to ask one or two people to edit your essay, whether it is your parents or your English teacher. There are many websites that help students find scholarships based off of qualifications. The career center and your counselor also can help you find scholarships. If you know your department or major, search for scholarships in that area. Local scholarships are easier to find this way. If you are going out-of-state, also search for department based scholarships in that state.
  4. Request a few letters of recommendation, even if you only need one. If you come across something later on where you need more than one, it is better to have those back-ups. Also, it is good to have diversity in case a scholarship requires a different lens on the letter. Ask someone who is not a teacher to write one as well, as many scholarships ask for someone not from your school to write you a letter.
  5. The most important part of finding the right school for you is how comfortable you feel there. Can you call this campus and town home? Check out the dorms, the restaurants, the town, and get a feel for the way of life in the area. Navigate around campus. Explore.
  6. Your parents will most likely accompany you on your tours and appointments, but be sure to be independent. In the end, this is your decision and it is you that will be going to school there, not them. Ask questions. Don’t rely on your parents to ask them for you. If you can, do an appointment or two on your own. Prepare beforehand with your parents to make sure you are covering all of the information, but go through it alone. This is impressive to the person you are meeting with and will leave an impression.
  7. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. This time is incredibly stressful; you are deciding your future. Your parents, teachers, friends and counselors all want to see you succeed. Go to them when you need help. This will make the process easier on you.

I wish you the best of luck in deciding your future. It’s nerve-wracking and scary, but it is also exciting. The decision is in your hands.

Sincerely,

Topanga McBride
Editor-in-Chief