Flirting explained

Flirting explained

What is flirting? I mean, we all do it, but what is it?

“Flirting is a way of getting someone to notice you in a more than friendly way,” said freshman Katie Puev.

So then what makes someone a flirt? A flirt is someone who behaves as though they are attracted to or trying to attract someone, but for amusement rather than with serious intention. This leads to the friendly vs. flirty debate.

According to recent studies by the Social Issues Research Center (SIRC) girls are more often associated with being

flirts than guys are.  But why is it a bad thing to flirt; what is wrong about having fun and giving people attention?

Boys and girls flirt differently, that’s pretty obvious. Girls will flirt using body language, physical contact and eye contact. They will have open posture and are more likely to touch someone on the arm or shoulder. Boys typically ‘peacock.’ It’s as basic as it sounds, they walk around showing off; strength, smarts, clothes, money – anything that they are proud of – to try and impress.

“When girls flirt it is much more subtle and only other girls know. When guys flirt it is much less subtle and everyone knows,” said junior Teagan Brown

According to SIRC it can take a person between 90 seconds and four minutes to realize that you’re flirting with them (I know, right). It all depends on how well you are flirting and how well the other person is reading you. What the other person thinks of you will be based on appearance and body language (55%), style of speaking (38%), and what is said (7%).

So it really doesn’t matter what you talk about as long as it is engaging and doesn’t make you sound dumb or like a jerk. What is most important is making sure you look good and have open body posture. Wear clothes that match where you are and improve your confidence, while staying appropriate. Sit with your shoulders pointed towards the person you are with and usually the rest of your body will follow suit.

Usually, guys will have a harder time interpreting when a girl is being flirty. According to SIRC women will use protean signals: ways of acting that are usually associated with flirting, but can be played off as not flirting. When we touch them on the arm or shoulder, it is an example of protean signals. Also when we play with our hair, that is usually associated with flirting, but it isn’t always a flirty move. There are more ways girls can play off being flirtatious, but it depends on the situation and the girl. Girls ability to play off their flirty moves helps to allow the conversation to flow and so you both can get to know each other, but if the attraction isn’t there, it gives them an easy out.

“Girls can be misleading, but so can boys. They both can be really friendly to each other- like a friendly flirting,” sophomore Cassie Crook said.

Girls and boys can be flirts, it just depends on personality type and the people they surround themselves with. The way you look and your body language are the most important first impressions. Girls are more likely to be misleading, but sometimes, it is for the good of both of you. So, we all are different, and we all flirt differently. Maybe it’s just time to accept that.