Fossil suffers loss to Golden High School in first game of league play

Fossil+Ridge+suffers+a+loss+in+their+first+game+of+league+play.+Ben+Weiner+getting+feedback+from+Coach+Johannsen.+Photo+Credit%3A+Miles+Blumhardt.+

Fossil Ridge suffers a loss in their first game of league play. Ben Weiner getting feedback from Coach Johannsen. Photo Credit: Miles Blumhardt.

Emily Brey

On Tuesday night, December 5, Fossil Ridge boys basketball faced Golden High School in their first league game. The sabercats took a tough (47-62) loss to the Demons, which wasn’t the way the team had hoped, or expected, to begin their season.

The Cats began the game very strong. The boys played with a high-tempo, transitioning from offense to defense quickly, and made smart decisions in their offensive zone. Junior Tommy Croft was a powerhouse, and after hitting shot after shot after shot he pushed the Cats to a (20-17) lead by the end of the first quarter.

During the second quarter of play, possession remained equal between the two teams, and the score reflected that. Once halftime rolled around, the Demons had taken a (28-31) lead over Fossil.

Head Coach Matt Johannsen speaking with referee during league game vs Golden High School. Photo Credit: Miles Blumhardt.

After the second half had begun, Golden pulled away. The game became a bit less competitive in the third quarter, and the sabercats didn’t have much luck in the Demons’ paint. At the end of the third quarter, Golden held a (37-48) lead.

The Demons took advantage of their buzzing confidence, and raised their intensity, serving Fossil their second loss of the season, and first loss in league play, (47-62). Croft stated after the game, “I think we played very well in the first half but we weren’t as physical as we needed to be in the second.”  

Tommy Croft getting subbed out of game vs Golden HS. Photo Credit: Miles Blumhardt.

Unlike varsity, Fossil’s jv and c teams both won their games against Golden, (69-53) and (42-39) respectively. Congrats to jv and c on their performances so far this season, and make sure to wish them luck in their upcoming games. 

On December 12, the boys will play at Mountain Vista High School against the Golden Eagles, at 7:00 P.M. If you would like to get updates on Fossil Ridge athletics, follow @frhssportsnews on Twitter!