Fossil starts the new year by bringing down number one in state

Olivia Doro

Fossil Ridge High School girls basketball has been doing great so far in their season, with eight wins and three losses. However, the number one in state, Highlands Ranch High School was defeated by Fossil with only 0.7 seconds left on the clock. The amazing three-pointer that won the game was shot by junior Ashley Steffeck, who just broke a school record earlier this season.

Going into the game on Saturday, January 6 Fossil was ranked as number ten. Walking onto their homecourt they faced their biggest opponent of the season, who were currently ranked nine places higher. The pressure was on and Fossil rose up to the occasion winning the game 58-57 as the buzzer went off.

The Sabercats led Highlands Ranch by ten points as the fourth quarter came to an end with three minutes left. But the number one team had come to the court to win. Sinking shot after shot they overtook Fossil, leading 57-55 with only seconds left on the clock. It was Steffeck who stepped up, shot, and watched the ball slip into the net sending the gym into a frenzy. It was the biggest upset in the team’s history and with conference’s coming up this win was a major confidence booster.

Steffeck as usual is a key player to watch, although the Sabercat sophomores on the team also had some time to shine. Specifically Lauren Zwetzig and Sophia Hadad, who took the third quarter by storm and impressively increased the team’s lead and helped Fossil overcome Highlands Ranch. Hadad finished as leading scorer with a total of 18 points scored at the end of the game.

When asked how it felt to score the game winning shot and upset the number one team Steffeck said, “It’s an awesome feeling, indescribable. But I can’t take all the credit for that awesome win. I was glad to take and make the shot, but the entire team rose up to occasion and everyone contributed to the win.” Steffeck’s response for what she thought this meant for the team was this; “This win is a great confidence booster for our team. We can hang with anybody. I also believe that we will become a lot closer and everyone will be able to buy in to tough games.”

Again Steffeck is as humble as ever and gives credibility to her whole team whenever she shines on the court. Congratulations to our Sabercats basketball team for an impressive and huge win, keep an eye out for Hadad and Zwetzig as the season continues.

With this new year also comes conference time, which Steffeck said the team’s main goal is “to be on top of the conference.” Good luck to our lady Sabercats and make sure to come support the girls at their next home game against Loveland High School at home on Tuesday, January 9. Tip off at 6:30.

Cover Photo Courtesy of Ashley Steffeck