Humans of Fossil: Erin Hood

Humans of Fossil: Erin Hood

[slideshow_deploy id=’12193′]

Erin Hood, a senior at Fossil Ridge High School is a foreign language enthusiast. Hood is currently taking AP Spanish 5 and German 1. “I love language classes. It’s awesome that I have the opportunity to learn foreign languages here, because there of plenty of people who never get that chance” said Hood.  Erin uses her bilingual skills to  volunteer as a Spanish interpreter at different non-profit events in Fort Collins.  

With her active involvement in the language program, Hood is also a member of the Spanish Honor Society and the Foreign Language Honor Society.  In these honor societies, she has the opportunity to communicate in different languages and practice speaking Spanish and German.  She says, “I’m just crazy passionate about learning languages. It gives me an advantage in so many situations, and being bilingual has given me opportunities to help people who I would otherwise never be able to speak to without Spanish” said Hood.

Aside from languages, Hood is also very involved in the FRHS marching band. “I think my favorite part of high school has been being a member of the band. Wind Symphony is amazing, and I love the people. It’s literally a huge family, and on top of that, we get to make incredible music. It’s awesome” said Hood. Currently Erin is in pep band, marching band, and concert band. In each of these select bands she plays the clarinet. “The people that are in it are honestly the best in the school.  It’s a huge family of people who are all passionate about doing the same thing” said Hood.

Photography is also one of her many passions. “I’m really passionate about taking photos, so I spend a lot of my free time with my camera” said Hood.  Outside of school, she also enjoys to read and keeps a stack of books next to her bed so she always has something to read. “I’m literally constantly reading one book after another” said Hood about her reading habits.   

After high school, She wants to go to Front Range for her first two years and then transfer to CSU. Hood says, “I want to be apart of the incredible language program and CSU. I want to be a Spanish interpreter, so my plan is to major in Spanish, and minor in German. I’m super passionate about language.”   

At home, she lives with her mom and dad and her sister. Spending time with her family has always been an important part of her life. One of her favorite things to do is spend time looking for records with her dad.“My dad and I go record hunting at garage sales and old thrift shops and antique malls a lot. He’s one of the biggest influences on the type of music I listen to, and so whenever he finds a record that he used to listen to in high school, he’ll buy it and let me listen to it with him on one of his turntables at home” said Hood.     

Erin loves looking out for people and brightening people’s days. “I think it’s important to do what you love, and don’t worry if others think it’s cool or not.  If you don’t know what you love to do, then try anythings that will impact your life positively, not negatively. If you do what you love, and don’t care what others think, you will be so much happier” said Hood.