Life of exchange students

Life of exchange students

2
Current exchange students at Fossil Ridge High School. Photo Credit: Chloe Harp

Seven students from all over the world left everything behind and came to Fossil Ridge High School to live as a typical American and “experience how it is like to go to a different school in a different county,” as Daniel Flo Formetin, an exchange student from Norway, put it. Many students arrive at the beginning of August and leave in June after they finished their school year.

Being an exchange student is more than just leaving the home country and living in a foreign one. It is an adventure that students will never forget. Everything begins with an organization. Usually organizations make teenagers take a test and interview to ensure they are able to speak the English language conversationally. If they pass the test, the experience and their new life also begins.

Students say goodbye to their families and friends in the airport to start a brand new life for a period of time. Nobody knows them in this new and foreign country, nobody knows where they’re from or their background stories. Everything is new and different at the beginning, but the exchange students are confident and want to experience school in America.

“I came to school and was allowed to choose my classes, that was awesome,” said Emilie Babkine, an exchange student from France, “it is different in France, we are not allowed to choose our classes, it is just different.” Babkine loves all of her classes. One of her classes this semester is AP English, which is challenging but interesting, as she is able to learn about American literature. “School is just amazing,“ said Babkine. Marin Tashihara agrees, “Being here is exiting.” The eighteen-year-old girl from Japan enjoys dancing and is able to continue to pursue her passion in America at Fossil. She took an Aerobics class along with beginning dance to strengthen her passion. “The people are really kind and I enjoy being around them,” said Tashihara. She also dances in the Studio West Center, which is one of her favorite activities she has participated in within the town. “It is just awesome and I made many close friends,” said Marin. School is a major part in every exchange students life, but the family time includes some good memories and experiences additionally. 

The Spanish exchange student, Francisco Martinez, describes his “family” here in the United States as doing everything they can to help him feel as though he is a part of their family as well as the culture. Babkine adds her description of her family life here, “They are entertaining and fun. I love being around them.” Babkine added that her daily routine has changed greatly. “It is just different. I ride the bus to school, and take great classes, then I’m back at home around 3:30 and I have time to do things and dinner is so early, but I got used to it and my family has a different point of view, too, which is really interested. I just love them.” 

As much as it is fun for her, it is always hard to be far away from home, and of course every student will have different degrees of homesickness. Babkine FaceTimes her family once a week, “just to see and talk to my family, they need to know how awesome it is.” She is sometimes homesick, but experiencing new things and talking to friends as well as her host sister help her to avoid getting homesick. Opposite to Babkine, Tashihara talks once a month to her family. “I’m not homesick. I enjoy it here and I only get one opportunity to be here” said Tashihara. Flo Flormetin said, “I feel like my mum isn’t here to protect me and give advice, I’m just a lot on my own here.”

Being away for a year, enjoying a new life, experiencing a new culture, and meeting new friends changes the exchange students’ in countless ways. “The English has gotten stronger, just the comfort in using English raised, students are more confident in adjusting to new situation. Of course all of the teenagers also had a natural growth..” said Benjamin DeGear, a teacher at Fossil. Babkin said that the exchange program has been the best decision of her life. 

After being asked what their favorite American holiday is, Christmas was one of the most common answers. “It is just awesome, spending time with my family and experience how it [Christmas] is celebrated in America,” said Tashihara. Daniel had a special guest for the holidays as his mum from Norway came to visit him. Organisations advise against parent visits during the exchange year, as it evokes homesickness.

The average age for being an exchange student is between fourteen and nineteen. If you are interested in doing a gap year, it is something that is definitely worth pursuing for countless benefits that come from the once in a lifetime opportunity. Exchange students, including those who have attended Fossil Ridge, would highly recommend it.