Student films prescreening for the Trevor Project

Johnny Howlett

The cast and crew of the short horror film, Widescreen, discusses thoughts on the project and reflecting with a question and answer session from the audience.

Joshua Villalpando

Television production has three classes at Fossil Ridge High School. All three contribute to the school, as they run assemblies and other live events throughout the year. They all create productions for Ridge TV and their annual film festival. Television Production 3 is distinct from the other two in that it is a much more advanced experience for the students who have reached that point. That is, in part, due to the students enrolled in it themselves.

Throughout the years, students involved in Television Production 3 have continued to expand the program. They have extended the maximum time limit on how long their films can be, they have made films in just about every genre, and they have even created their own original scores. One group of students decided to branch out in a different way. They wanted to use the films they made to help others.

Garrick Bateman, Megan Bean, and a group of students spanning more than five films got together and put on a prescreening of their films for the Trevor Project. The Trevor Project is an organization dedicated to helping young LGBTQ+ people struggling with mental health issues. Bateman and Bean, the two primary directors of the projects shown, decided to dedicate the prescreening to the project as it involves themes that are found in the two biggest films that were shown, Jack and Madwoman. Their goals for the night were simple, as they did not need to raise a ton of money for the project to meet its goals. As long as people had fun with the movies and the students could help out a little bit, it would already be a success.

The prescreening was absolutely that if nothing else. Family and friends of the crews got to see what their friends were working on and got a glimpse at the creative process that contributed to all of the films shown. They managed to raise just under $100 for the Trevor Project in two hours. There were some rough patches, as the films were still being touched up on for their final submission onto Films on a Shoestring,, but even then everyone thought it was a great experience to share out their creations early with the people closest to them. Additionally, all of the films—Lemonade Stand, Widescreen, Jack and Madwoman—got into FOASS and will be screened there for anyone to come see.

To see these films and more, come to the Films On A Shoestring film festival on Friday, May 3 at 5:30 p.m. in the Performing Arts Center. If you feel you need help or want to learn more about the organization, visit the Trevor Project’s website for a wide array of resources.