Color Guard brightens season

2013 Color Guard Team. Photo Credit: Kaitlin Baker-Carr

Billowing flags of gold and yellow, girls lined up tossing, flipping and catching five foot tall flags with the greatest of ease, as if it takes no effort to throw and catch them four feet above their heads. This is the Color Guard. State champions and devoted band members, this team brings the pizzazz and awe to every show. Hard working, determined and agile these girls put their best foot forward every day on and off the field.

Instilled when Marching Band first started at Fossil Ridge High School, the Color Guard has grown and prospered to what it is today. Many would like to believe that this team of elite band members involves nothing more than a few dance moves and tossing some flags. But it’s much more. These devoted students practice throughout the summer, show up for hours over two weeks for band camp and four days every week during the school year until the season is over. Even then they start back up

in the spring for the upcoming fall. This year’s Color

Last year's Color Guard flags and rifles lined up before practice. Photo Credit: Kaitlin Baker-Carr
Last year’s Color Guard flags and rifles lined up before practice. Photo Credit: Kaitlin Baker-Carr

Guard team is composed of 30 teens who give it their all each and every day.

The Color Guard learns different routines for each musical number (there are four songs this year) and each section has a unique function. The three groups of ‘dancers’ are split into blue, purple, and red groups (red being the rifling) by their skill and previous experience in Color Guard. “Some parts we do the same things and others we have different work,” said senior Lizzie Ly, who is a part of the purple group. They all serve a basic function of performance to the marching band but each group has its own routine in the show too.  The routine is created by their two coaches, Greg Humphrey and Amber Connelly.

Greg Humphrey is the new coach this year and mainly works with rifling and form with flag tossing. His focus is the equipment (flags, rifles, etc.), but he also helps with some of the dance. He has been working with bands and routines for about nine years and has worked in Colorado for four years. When asked about the team at Fossil he said, “These girls are a lot of fun and have really high energy and are eager to learn.” Many of the girls enjoy the new coach and hope that he stays for future seasons.

Amber Connelly has worked with the FRHS Color Guard for a year and is back again. She helps teach and refine each dance so the girls are on top of it and all synchronized. “Amber is awesome,” said Ly. Ms. Connelly collaborates with the other band directors to maximize the Color Guard’s effectiveness and personal style. She has worked with choreography for three years and is happy to stay as long as the FRHS band department wants her. Being her second year and in a more ‘vet’ position, she is confident in her work and feels as though things are a bit smoother this year, especially with a set staff. As for the future Ms. Connelly encourages students to, “Come and join, it’s a fun program and you got to learn a lot about yourself and the Color Guard.”

With new coaches and a big reputation, the Color Guard is amped up for this coming season. Although a little behind schedule compared to last year, the Marching Band will definitely be ready by the time Homecoming rolls around to test out their new performance on the football audience. After winning state last year, they are determined and hard-pressed to win again. But with such a strong and committed crew it is hard to imagine any kind of failure. As the band gets bigger and better and the Color Guard with it.

From left: Erica Limstron, Alyx VanDoren, and Lily Filipowska. Photo Credit: Kaitlin Baker-Carr

This year there are three all-inspiring captains: senior Alyx VanDoren, senior Erica Limstron and senior Lily Filipowska; these girls are hard at work training and conditioning their team for this season. Watching these girls as they warm up and practice shows their determination. Their dedication, camaraderie, and overall love for the sport and team is stimulating. They exude an entirely different connection that most people have with teams. They all are happy to be there, every day even if they mask it with complaining. Every girl gives it their all and really enjoys what they’re doing. They support, laugh, and listen to each other and not one girl is above another, even the captains. Their connection and the group of students who are so different from one another but work together effectively and with ease shows students and staff alike the integrity each girl has. Cooperative, excited, and committed, these girls show the best that a team can be.

Color Guard is not all fun and games though. There is a lot of work and commitment required to stay in this group. Every season they put in about 168 hours of practice between August and October and have to balance school with it. It is not only a physical commitment but a mental one too keeping up with classes and being the amazing students that they are. “You’re more motivated to do better work,” said Shauna Kommrusch, senior. But all the work put in returns tenfold when state comes and everything comes together. The band, the Color Guard and the performance moves so smoothly and awes each fan, always showing the best that each student can be. Color Guard represents endurance, dedication, and enthusiasm from each and every student that is part of the team.

Color Guard team stretching for warm-ups before practice. Photo Credit: Kaitlin Baker-Carr

But alas, with such a wonderful, awe-inspiring team it appears that performances may be cut short this year and few games beyond the State Finals competition will be played. For this year, Poudre School District has decided to cut bus transportation for the band. It has been discussed from no busses to only two that will be provided for the entire band and Color Guard crew. Although there has been work put in to get transportation for the entire band, so far no solutions have been presented. To transport all the equipment, students, and assistants it takes about four busses and two Penske trucks; so not having access to busses or only having two busses is a near impossible task to still move and perform at home football games. “The bus situation is really frustrating because we can’t get 200-some students, props, etc. to French Field without them and we need the performances in front of an audience for practice before State,” said senior Filipowska, a captain of the Color Guard. As the bus situation is yet to be resolved, students hope for the best to get to perform soon.

Lily Filipowska, student extraordinaire. Filipowska has taken nine AP classes over the course of her high school years and three of those years she has been in Color Guard. “Having so many advanced courses and Color Guard really makes you prioritize and manage your time,” said Filipowska. Now, on her last year and taking a major role as one of the captains, it has been bittersweet. Self-fulfilling, bonding and great exercise is how most girls would describe the Color Guard, no less Filipowska. Never lacking in liveliness, Filipowska is a livewire ready for any challenge.

Everyone is highly encouraged to come and join the Color Guard. No experience is needed and they always want more members. Boys are welcome to try out as well, contrary to popular belief. And if it simply isn’t your thing, that’s fine. Come and support the band, you’ll be so glad you did! And if you are a male the Color Guard wants you to know that anyone can join and that guys are an important asset to the team. So come join or watch the Marching Band this fall!