Senior Ladies Bring wow in Academics

nationalmerit.fwThis year Fossil Ridge has two semifinalists for the National Merit Scholars: seniors Sierra Lear and Sanjukta Santra. These exceptional seniors show some of the best in academics, work ethic and kindness to others.

The National Merit Scholarship strives to, “Honor academically talented students in the U.S.,” and to “Shine a spotlight on brilliant students and encourage the pursuit of academic excellence at all levels of education.” http://www.nationalmerit.org/mission.php. Those awarded can receive large scholarships from colleges and businesses or a $2,500 scholarship from the organization due to their PSAT scores and academic excellence.

In the 10 years Fossil Ridge High School has been open there have been about 15-20 Merit Semifinalists. “About one semifinalist becomes a finalist each year from Fossil,” said Mrs. Campbell, “and we’re really hoping to increase that number for our school.” Out of 1.5 million students nationwide that took the PSAT only 1,600 were awarded as semifinalists and two of those 1,600 are here at FRHS. To qualify to be a semifinalist in Colorado a student must take the PSAT their junior year and score higher than a 215 to be considered. From there, counselors inform each student whether they are a semifinalist or not, usually this happens at the beginning of senior year. Afterwards each semifinalist is given an application to finish by Oct. 9.

Sierra Lear

National Merit Semifinalist Sierra Lear. Photo Credit: Sarah Baker

A driven and technical student, Lear is a hard working individual whose studies and passion for further learning has brought her the semifinalist award. Her excitement of being claimed a semifinalist stemmed for her ability to move on after high school, “It’s really exciting to get this award because it looks great on resumes and college applications.” Lear said. She is planning on applying to University of California San Diego, Brown University, Tulane University, Stanford, University of Colorado Boulder and Colorado College in-state. Although only Colorado College offers any scholarships to National Merit Scholars from Lear’s list of schools she isn’t discouraged. “I’ll probably apply to the $2,500 scholarship to see if I can get some money from the application,” Lear said. The $2,500 scholarship is one of three possibilities through National Merit Scholars and the hardest to obtain.

Lear is currently fascinated with the human brain and is planning on following a degree in neuroscience. She is also interested in pursuing biochemistry. She is currently doing research in a Colorado State University lab with Dr. Tobet on neuroscience.

Lear is the President of the Mu Alpha Theta, an honors math club, at FRHS and is currently taking Calculus 3 with Mr. Pfeifer, the highest level of math offered at FRHS. She is also a board member of Key Club and part of Science Olympiad, all requiring time, commitment and volunteering. “Taking these clubs makes you learn to communicate with others but it’s fun and not too much to handle.” Lear said.

Lear knew she was a semifinalist when she received her score over the summer. “I knew that the minimal score was 215 to qualify and when my score was higher I was pretty positive that I made it.” said Lear.

Sanjukta Santra

National Merit Semifinalist Sanjukta Santra. Photo Credit: Sarah Baker

A hard working, determined, and kind student Santra seems to have her life figured out. She works at a law firm and is a hostess at Perkins. She is looking into the Stanford, Columbia and California and East Coast schools. She wishes to earn a degree in international relations or developmental economics. Santra has taken multiple AP classes and is involved with many clubs such as Student Ambassadors, Forensics and Fresh Club. Santra believes in working hard and saving money for her future, “Working is a humbling experience and important to do and it gives you some good experience under your wing before you go to college.” Santra said.

“You can do so much more than you think you can and can still have a social life, don’t be discouraged that you can’t do both. Work hard and play hard.” said Santra. By the end of her senior year, Santra will have taken 11 AP classes and been involved in many clubs and extra-curricular activities.

$100
$1000